Wednesday, March 5, 2014

"Ciao! Mi chiamo Kelsey.
Io sono di New York.
Sono 20 anni.
Mi piace futbol.

...Ciao!"
I picked up these phrases earlier today, just before introducing myself to a group of fourth graders.  I will be volunteering at the Comune di Cortona Scuola Elementare--an elementary school in town--with some other Art Education students this semester, and I could not be more delighted. 
I did't have room in my schedule to take the actual Art Education class offered here on the Cortona program, but the professor is allowing me to tag along with her students for the trips to the school.  Four times throughout the semester, I will be assisting one of the Art Ed students teach their lesson plan to Italian children.  I feel comfortable teaching and working with kids in English.  A class of twelve Italian boys and two girls, on the other hand, is going to be a challenge.  I am hoping to gain some unique communication skills from this experience that will allow me to instruct in a more visual, physical way, working around the language barrier to develop other ways of understanding.  So far, even with the little Italian that I do know, things have gone pretty well.  One mention of the word "futbol," and I had the whole class cheering...
 I will be posting pictures of the art we'll be making together soon.
Photos: (Top) Comune di Cortona Scuola Elementare; (Bottom) Margaret, a volunteer, Jackie, an Art Education major--and teacher--and I, right after orientation!

No comments:

Post a Comment