Thursday, March 27, 2014

I have been so busy lately--I've hardly had time to post on my blog! The good news is, I have a wealth of new images to show for my hard work. Here is the progression of my painting final so far (over the course of five sessions). The last image is the most recent. 
Check out the first draft of my artist statement here:

            On January 31st, as I frantically sorted through my suitcase at the airport and abandoned "extra" pieces of clothing in the trunk of my parents' car, I realized just how difficult it is to fit most of your life in a less-than-fifty-pounds suitcase—or at least the important parts. "Only bring the essentials," I'd been told time and time again, as I planned and packed for a semester in Italy. Several weeks later, once Id settled into my new home in Cortona, I was able to reevaluate what had made the cut.
            One afternoon sitting in my Tuscan room I noticed a tangle of belongings on my bedside table: A scattering of paintbrushes and other artist tools, a green knit hat, a tube of lotion, a necklace, a bag of pasta, a purple box and the jewelry it contained, among other vibrant clutter. Judging by these seemingly random items, one might not assume that I'd heeded anyone's "practical" advice. However, I do use these treasures almost every day. Most of the items I brought with me here (as well as the things I've collected on this trip) hold very personal significance, which is why I decided to paint this “still life-self portrait." These are my “essentials.”
            From the brushes and palette knife I inherited from my grandmother, to Italian corks reminiscent of recent nights with friends, this image represents me as well as many of the people who I care about. Every single object in this recreated bedside table display holds sentimental value; most of the things you see have been given to me or acquired with the people that I love. The cheerful colors, warm lighting, and an overarching feeling of organized chaos echo how I live my life—often flying by the seat of my pants, but with constant support from friends and family. An ordinary still life becomes a personal glimpse into my life and the people who have given so much to me over the years. And I don't only mean the items in this display... 


1 comment:

  1. Hi there Kelsey,

    Love your blog! I've looked at your recent work, my favorite painting was this one the third one down on your page, I felt like it accurately demontrates the (sometimes messy) painting process that we all love! haha.

    I'm studying art and painting at St. Lawrence University. I was wondering if I could get your input/help on a project I'm currently working on? Please email me at jamesparker506@gmail.com and I'll give you the details!

    Much appreciated :)
    -James

    ReplyDelete